Re: Sound Editing Software

Subject: Re: Sound Editing Software
From: "Peter Shute" pshute2
Date: Sun Jun 2, 2013 1:31 pm ((PDT))
Same here, plus Audacity can make a copy when it imports the wav file anywa=
y. But I was under the impression that editors like Reaper also keep track =
of all the intermediate editing steps you've made, and allow you to, say, m=
odify the eq you did before you added fade in and fade out. Am I wrong abou=
t that?=0D
=0D
Peter Shute=0D
=0D
Sent from my iPad=0D
=0D
On 03/06/2013, at 5:05 AM, "Jez" <<=
l.com>> wrote:=0D
=0D
=0D
=0D
well, I always keep a copy of the original recording anyway & certainly I t=
hink most folks would advise that. One often returns to tracks & sometimes =
any editing (even the simple top & tailing) decisions change with time.=0D
=0D
--- In <naturerecordists%40yahoogrou=
ps.com>, umashankar <> wrote:=0D
>=0D
> there is now very little difference between destructive and non destructi=
ve editing. if you save the file with a new name, your original file is not=
 touched at all, in any editing program. and you can always make a copy and=
 work on that.=0D
>=0D
> umashankar=0D
>=0D
>=0D
> ________________________________=0D
> From: Peter Shute <>=0D
ps.com>" <<naturerecordists%40yahoog=
roups.com>>=0D
> Sent: Sunday, June 2, 2013 12:11 PM=0D
> Subject: Re: [Nature Recordists] Sound Editing Software=0D
>=0D
>=0D
> Reaper does non destructive editing, doesn't it? If so, it's a very diffe=
rent beast to Audacity, even if it ends up delivering the same results.=0D
>=0D
> I've been meaning to give it a try.=0D
>=0D
> Peter Shute=0D
>=0D
> Sent from my iPad=0D
>=0D
> On 02/06/2013, at 12:46 AM, "Jez" <<>> wrote=
:=0D
>=0D
>=0D
>=0D
> Reaper is one of the best suites around - the paths & processing software=
 is top level & unlike Audacity, it's built & maintained by folks who are c=
ommitted to providing a very high level service. Audacity is 'ok' but the f=
act that you can't monitor while making adjustments (if you do that with yo=
ur recordings) is a major & bizarre, problem.=0D
>=0D
> Reaper is actually really easy to use once when gets past the basics & th=
ere are lots of video's online showing basic set up of tracks etc.=0D
oups.com><naturerecordists%40yahoogroups.com<http://40yahoogroups.co=
m>>, NICK DANDO <nick.dando@> wrote:=0D
> >=0D
> > That's good to know. I hadn't looked at Audacity for a few years, being=
 happy with Soundtrack Pro. I'll have to give it another go to see if it's =
easier than the somewhat baffling Reaper.=0D
> >=0D
> > Nick=0D
> >=0D
> >=0D
> > ________________________________=0D
> > From: Peter Shute <pshute@>=0D
> > To: "<naturerecordists%40yahoogr=
oups.com><naturerecordists%40yahoogroups.com<http://40yahoogroups.co=
m>>" <<naturerecordists%40yahoogroup=
s.com><naturerecordists%40yahoogroups.com<http://40yahoogroups.com>>=
>=0D
> > Sent: Thursday, 30 May 2013, 21:24=0D
> > Subject: Re: [Nature Recordists] Sound Editing Software=0D
> >=0D
> >=0D
> >=0D
> > =C3=82=0D
> > On 31/05/2013, at 4:37 AM, "Nick Dando" <nick.dando@<nick.dando@=
>> wrote:=0D
> >=0D
> > Alternatives are Reaper, which is cheap, and Audacity, which is free, b=
ut doesn't have the ability to deal with 24/192 recordings.=0D
> >=0D
> > Is that correct? A quick Google search says it's been able to handle 19=
2kHz recordings since at least 2011. (See http://forum.audacityteam.org/vie=
wtopic.php?f=3D16&t=3D61803)=0D
> >=0D
> > Peter Shute=0D