Re: ambisonic

Subject: Re: ambisonic
From: "Trond Lossius" tlossius
Date: Sun May 26, 2013 1:14 pm ((PDT))
> > Ambisonics is usually a particular technique for recording surround sou=
nd,
> > especially with a tetrahedral mic array and a lot of sophisticated time=

> > domain processing. Calling any array "ambisonic" is muddling.
>
> Agreed. Ambisonic is a particular technique using four mics in a tetrahed=
ral array. It has a cult-like following. Personally I've been unimpressed b=
y demonstrations I've heard.

I don't have enough general experience with mics and recordings to provide =
any qualified opinion on the quality of ambisonic mics versus other kinds o=
f mics, but personally, the appealing aspect of ambisonics recordings is th=
e capturing of spatial information. While a regular mono or stereo recordin=
g (for me) primarily capture sound(s), I find that I am primarily recording=
 place with my SoundField mic.

Of course this statement is somewhat simplistic, as a lot of information ab=
out places are also captured in regular mono and stereo recordings (what co=
nstitutes the soundscape, information on nearby and distant sound sources, =
echoes and reverb, etc.), but the enveloping quality I experience when play=
ing back surround recordings takes me "there" in a very different way.

Best,
Trond