Re: Newbie iPhone question

Subject: Re: Newbie iPhone question
From: "Max Catterwell" oatcruncher
Date: Thu May 9, 2013 7:19 am ((PDT))
Hi Bill
Err yes, this is Apple doing things their way, nothing like as bad as Sony =
but........ If you type irig into the group search box, you'll find earlier=
 posts about this, but mainly relating to using the iRig with hand held rec=
orders such as my LS-10.
Without checking the wiring, which I can't do at present, I'm not sure abou=
t how you'd have to pin out a TRRS plug to use your ME66, and also whether =
or not it would work anyway! I know that one of our members, Vicki, has use=
d an ME66 directly into an LS-10 (or at least that's what my poor memory is=
 telling me!), but I don't know about with an iPhone. Maybe another more kn=
owledgable member than me will chip in. I think it unlikely that you will h=
ave done any damage.
Good fortune with your experiments and recording.
Cheers
Max

Sent from my iPod

On 9 May 2013, at 14:35, Bill Whitacre <> wrote:

> Thanks Max.  Good info, particularly the part about what to do with two p=
ower-producing switches!  Can I use either the K6 battery OR the iRIG power=
 but not both?

> I tried the ME66 last night with a XLR - 1/8" jack cable I bought as part=
 of a package but the 1/8" had only tip and 2 'rings' whereas I see the iRI=
G has tip and 3 rings.  I suppose that's why with K6 power or not all I got=
 on the iPhone was very weak audio and lots of hum.

> Hope I didn't damage anything with that trial!  My 'other hobby' is liste=
ning to distant radio stations and there one often has to break something t=
o learn.  ;-)

> ---
>
> On May 9, 2013, at 6:32 AM, Max wrote:
>
>> Hi Bill,
>> You are correct in your assumption; the mic to irig XLR cable is all you=
're missing. HOWEVER, be advised NOT to turn on the battery in the K6 modul=
e when connecting to the iRig, as the iRig supplies the power.
>> I suggest when first connecting this setup, you turn down the gain on th=
e iRig to minimum, and then gradually increase to sufficient level. As a ma=
tter of interest, what recording program are you using on your iPhone?
>> Cheers
>> Max
>>
>> --- In  Bill Whitacre <> wrote:
>>>
>>> I wonder if anyone can direct me to a link or offer a little advice on =
connecting a Sennheiser ME66 to an iPhone?

>>> I have a ME66 with the battery-powered 'back end' and an iRIG PRE so ..=
. but for a female-male XLR cable I think maybe I'm all set?

>>> I don't 'get' this whole 'phantom power' thing but supposedly the iRIG =
takes care of that.

>>> Right now I've got a Edutige i-Microphone and it's very good and very s=
mall but it's 360 deg rather than a cardioid.