1. Re: speaking of fetch

Subject: 1. Re: speaking of fetch
From: "Raimund" animalsounds
Date: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:31 am ((PDT))
> The intervening trees would probably disperse the call. I spent a
> summer trying to get a clean woodpecker drumming in my woodland on 150
> metre cables. I could fetch it in at a reasonable level with rifle
> mics, but the reverb from the trees muddled the drumming. I got the
> blighter last year when it drummed on a tree across my car park at 60
> metres using the fetch of my 416's.
> http://www.stowford.org/recordings.htm#woodpeckerbeech

David,

I also spent some time trying to record clean woodpecker drumming. I think =
that one needs to hold the gun mic in the hand and actively aim it at the b=
ird while trying to get as close as possible. Here is what I got from a Gre=
at Spotted Woodpecker:

http://www.avisoft.com/sounds/bsp4.mp3

This recording was made in a park close to a busy road, which is the reason=
 why there is some low-frequency rumble in there.

I used a Sennheiser MKH 60 that has a noise specification of 8 dB(A). I bel=
ieve that this self noise specification is still quite important in such gu=
n mics.

Regards,
Raimund