1. Re: speaking of fetch

Subject: 1. Re: speaking of fetch
From: "Raimund" animalsounds
Date: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:22 am ((PDT))
> > http://www.avisoft.com/sounds/bsp4.mp3
>
> Raimund,
>
> That's a great recording, You can hear the whole tree resonating.
>
> (Now with technical hat on)
>
> I looked for Sennheiser HF noise on a power spectrum. This is a
> characteristic tip-up above 10KHz due to thermal noise which is as low
> as you can get. The mic hiss just below this frequency is about 55dB
> below the unfiltered background noise and about 80dB below the
> woodpecker. That is some going by a large margin.
>
> With a cheaper mic and 10dB more noise, that mic noise would be still
> below audible limits. This suggests that for much of our time, good
> technique beats mic specs by a large margin and we can get too hung up
> on manufacturer's figures instead of just getting out recording. I
> will have to be content with my MKH-416's 13dB(A) noise figure. :-)

Hi David,

Yes, that woopecker was really close to the mic (if I remember correctly it=
 was only about two or three meters).

Unfortunately, we often don't manage to get that close. Most of the time th=
e distances are considerably larger. Under these (more common) cirmunstance=
s I can almost always hear the difference between my K6/ME66 (10 dBA) and t=
he MKH60 (8 dBA) even in relatively noisy environments.

Regards,
Raimund