2. Re: speaking of fetch

Subject: 2. Re: speaking of fetch
From: "Keith Smith" smith9e499
Date: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:51 pm ((PDT))
Hello David,
I'm curious to learn whether the concept of fetch might have something to
do with the steepness of the transfer function of a given microphone. Yes,
typically we only get one number for that at a 94 dBSPL test figure, but it
doesn't follow that the mV/Pa is a linear function over varying pressures, =
*
or* that the slopes of I/O for any 2 microphones with the same 94dB
sensitivity figure are the same.

Let's say we have our scene with a distant source of particular interest
producing say, 10dBSPL less than some other nearer source.

Now, let's assume for  this purpose, we have 2 gun mics with the same polar
pattern and the transfer functions are both linear but have different
slopes. #1 has a sensitivity of 20mV/Pa,  #2 is 10mV/Pa, -  I'm guessing #1
likely has a steeper TF slope than #2. Both have a sufficiently low
self-noise to be used  for nature work and our mic pre's are near
noiseless, at the gains applied. We adjust gains so that both mics are
reading the same max dB value.
I'm thinking the less sensitive mic will do a better job of 'fetching' the
more distant sound since the difference between the source-of-interest's
output voltage and that of the near sound will be less. In effect, the
lower sensitivity mic is compressing the sonic scene or, after a more
rigorous examination, the higher sensitivity mic might be expanding it.

This thought also has me wondering if a compressor is a flexible fetch
control, suitable for nature work and what the group's opinions are
regarding the use of compression/expansion in nature recording.

thanks!
Keith

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 3:22 AM, Raimund <>wrot=
e:

--
Keith Smith

Keith Smith Trio, Northern Lights =96 Altai Khangai - www.keithsmith.ca