Re: Tascam DR-100 MKII (with Rode NTG2) records at extremely low vol

Subject: Re: Tascam DR-100 MKII (with Rode NTG2) records at extremely low vol
From: "Eric Fassbender" eric.fassbender
Date: Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:34 pm ((PDT))
As I said, I am pretty happy with the combination of PMD661 and matched Rod=
e NT5's noise-wise. Not sure how they compare with the NTG2, though. Feel f=
ree to have a listen to the results of this combination on any of the below=
 platforms if you want (details below).

Probably the best examples are 'Birds of the North Australian Tropical Rain=
forest' and 'Journey to the Top End'. The others are too focused on water s=
ounds or in the case of the album 'Journey to Australia - Vol.1' recorded w=
ith different gear so not representative of the PMD661/NT5 combo.
Another good example might be the sound samples that I recorded for Windson=
g Chimes. The samples on their website (www.windsongchimes.com.au).) will g=
ive you a pretty good impression of the results you're likely to get as I'v=
e recorded them at home so there are very few external sounds (e.g. wind in=
 distant trees that you may find in a lot of nature recordings). I even too=
k the batteries out of a clock and stopped the fridge during recordings ;)

The only problem that I find with the NT5's is that they are very sensitive=
 to wind, so I have to use them with a blimp and windjammer even in the sli=
ghtest of breezes. That obviously muffles the sounds a bit but in this pric=
e bracket I think it is still a very good combination.

Cheers,

Eric

PS - Don't judge me by the latest post on my Facebook page - I didn't inven=
t this, ok!

Website: www.australian-nature-sounds.com
Facebook: facebook.com/australian-nature-sounds
iTunes: bit.ly/ANS-iTunes
YouTube: bit.ly/ANS-YouTube_1
Soundcloud: bit.ly/ANS-Soundcloud
iPhone app: bit.ly/ANS-iPhone-App

On 11/03/2013, at 10:23 AM, rock_scallop <> wrot=
e:

> Well, the DR-100MK11 does not score very high noise-wise on Raimund's com=
parison chart. The PMD661 looks significantly better there. However, given =
the specs of the NTG2 with an equivalent noise figure of 18dB is a little n=
oisy for recording quiet settings, you might not see much of a benefit goin=
g to the PMD661 - then again it might be a perfect match. Let us know how i=
t works out.