Re: Tascam DR-100 MKII (with Rode NTG2) records at extremely low vol

Subject: Re: Tascam DR-100 MKII (with Rode NTG2) records at extremely low vol
From: "Robin" robin_parmar_sound
Date: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:33 am ((PDT))
Jelmer Poelstra wrote:

> Comparing to the Sony PCM-M10 connected to the same
> Rode mic, if find that a sound source registering
> at -3dB in the Sony (also with mic sensitivity
> on high, and the turning wheel on 10), registers on
> the Tascam as -18dB with phantom power off, and
> -12dB with phantom power on.

I have had a hard time finding decent facts about this recorder. The first =
version was reviewed by Transom as requiring very hot mics.

It has been said that the MkII improves on the MkI gain structure, but ofte=
n this seems to be nothing more than reviewers parroting the promotional ma=
terial. However, the following two reviewers definitively note the higher g=
ain, based on actual recordings.

http://www.pauljoy.com/gear/camera-accessories/tascam-dr-100mkii-vs-zoom-h4=
n-review/

http://nofilmschool.com/2012/04/audio-recorder-roundup-h4n-zoom-vs-tascam/

I am not sure how to reconcile the different reports.

In any case, I struck this recorder off my list of those to consider for a =
different reason. Reports (on this list, IIRC) indicated that there is a pe=
rmanent limiter set at -6dB (in addition to the switchable limiter). Did yo=
u notice this?

:: Robin Parmar :: THE DRONES now available on BandCamp ::