Re: Blimp wind cover for ME66

Subject: Re: Blimp wind cover for ME66
From: "Peter Shute" pshute2
Date: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:35 pm ((PST))
vickipowys wrote:

> Just try blowing on the switch area to see if your mic is
> sensitive like mine was. I simply made a tiny serviette-ring
> of fleece fabric that can slide over the switch area but
> still allows me to access the switch. The cable itself is
> also a little sensitive especially near the back of the mic
> and this is where the blimp is invaluable. You can use the
> low-cut switch on your recorder to help reduce wind and
> handling noise but then if you are trying to record low
> frequencies that is counter productive.

I'll try blowing into the switch. I've got the low cut filter on the mic tu=
rned on, but from memory the rumble I was getting was pretty bad, and I don=
't know if filters are the answer.

> The couriers should take responsibility for the wrong
> delivery, especially as it should have gone to Peter and not Charlie!

My wife would have signed for it if they'd come to the right place, so I ca=
n't really argue that point It would appear no proof of identity is require=
d, and that just being at the delivery address is good enough. Unless they'=
ve got gps tracking on the van then I guess that system falls down when the=
y take it to the wrong place without realising. It was TNT, so they should =
know how to deliver a parcel safely.

> Re matted fur, Klas found that rinsing with fabric softener
> or hair conditioner was useful.

I considered washing it, but I think I read somewhere that some covers will=
 lose the fur if you do that. I was in the process of finding out what mode=
l it is to see if this is one of those, but got sidetracked. I couldn't see=
 anything exactly like it on the Rycote web site, and Rycote wanted to see =
a photo of it. Never got around to it.

> I originally used a home-made blimp for ME66-67, with a tube
> made from a plastic-mesh peg bag and with a fitted fleece
> cover, the front was flat and the XLR plug and cable was
> partly exposed at the back altho securely tied to prevent
> wind entering the shield. I have to say that the Rode blimp
> was far superior for wind protection.

I had considered making my own, but decided that the fake fur I can get pro=
bably isn't going to be as acoustically transparent as a bought one, so aba=
ndoned the idea.

You can probably see a common thread to all these problems - half baked ide=
as, incomplete projects, etc.

Peter Shute