Re: Blimp wind cover for ME66

Subject: Re: Blimp wind cover for ME66
From: "vickipowys" vpowys
Date: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:35 pm ((PST))
Peter,

My response may be too late but I'll send it anyway.

I have an ME66 which I use in the field with a slip-on Rode Softie
and handle, very useful but it will catch some wind rumble.  I make
sure the area of the on-off switch is also covered with furry fabric
as it is sensitive to wind, for some reason.  You can use an ordinary
comb to brush the softie hair, you don't need a special brush.  It is
important that the fur not be matted and that it should bend in the
wind and 'confuse' the wind rather than stop it dead.

If I am looking to get a really good lyrebird recording with no hint
of wind rumble then I use a full Rode blimp with the ME66 plus handle
on a monopod.  The fact that the blimp completely covers the back of
the mic and the cable attachment, and is rounded at the front, are
all positives.  I have the furry cover but never need to use it,
instead I have found that the mesh cover, plus a green furry mohair
cover (good cammo) are all that I need.

Mostly I use the softie simply because it is quicker, lighter and
easier but the full blimp is fantastic for certain situations.

Vicki