Re: New Telinga PIP Stereo preamp. & EIN

Subject: Re: New Telinga PIP Stereo preamp. & EIN
From: "John Crockett" naturalcontemplative
Date: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:15 pm ((PST))
Hi David,

I had sort of figured that out sitting here thinking about it. So EIN is no=
t the way to talk about it. But I do note that when I engage the -20 dB sen=
sitivity switch on my H2, the H2 noise level drops by 20 dB. If I didn't ha=
ve an external preamp, the signal would also drop by 20 dB. but with an ext=
ernal preamp providing the gain, now the recorder noise has dropped but the=
 signal level is still high.

What I am still unsure about is exactly how to quantify this. How to calcul=
ate the amount of noise at the end of the chain when you have microphone ou=
tput noise, preamp 1 EIN and preamp 2 EIN.

I mean, if one just uses the EIN for each preamp in the calculation, there =
appears to be no advantage to using an external preamp with lower noise and=
 feeding it into a recorder preamp with higher noise. Yet I can see by prac=
tical application, that if I feed a quieter preamp into my Zoom H2, and I e=
ngage the -20 dB pad on the H2, I get a much better result than if I feed t=
he same mic directly into the H2 without the -20 dB pad.

It appears to me that the numbers give an accurate prediction of the result=
 if I pretend that the EIN of the H2 is now -120 dB instead of being -100 d=
B.

But you seem to be saying that is wrong, so what is the correct way to calc=
ulate the total noise at the end of this chain?

Am I making any sense?

John