Re: Advice please on what mics for recording in quiet outdoor enviro

Subject: Re: Advice please on what mics for recording in quiet outdoor enviro
From: "grummyaa" grummyaa
Date: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:47 pm ((PDT))
I'm in search of the same thing. Another possible alternative to the NT1a i=
s the newish CAD e110s. It's spec'ed out to be even quieter @3dbA. Although=
 I have yet read any reviews or word of anyone using one outdoors at all. Y=
ou'de be doing some DIY for wind protection for sure and possibly wind proo=
f shock absorption as well. I've read Rodes stock shockmount seems to trans=
fer low frequency energy to the mic. That's why folks are doing stuff like =
this: https://pantherfile.uwm.edu/type/www/audio-reports/DIY_ShockZep_4_NT1=
A_ORTF/DIY_ShockZep_4_NT1A_ORTF.html
I'm guessing one would need to do a similar thing for the e100s's.

I've also read that the NT1a's are a fairly narrow cardioid so folks are fi=
nding a hole in the middle when angling as narrow as 90 degrees. Can't reme=
mber where but I read someone saying they got better results at an angle of=
 60 degrees with them for stereo. Are there any folks that use NT1a's on he=
re that have input on that subject. My self I was hoping on eventually gett=
ing two pairs for quad recordings but am a little unsure of how useful they=
 will actually be for that due to the possibly too narrow of cardioid patte=
rn.

--- In  "im_rawes" <> wrote:

> Hello, I hope someone can advise me on this.
>
> I'm used to recording in and around my home city where background noise l=
evels are quite high.

> Now I want to make some recordings in semi-wilderness areas like the Scot=
tish Highlands and elsewhere. On a trip to Scotland earlier this year I fou=
nd that my DPA 2006Cs (supposedly 16dBA) were far too noisy for recording i=
n forests, on moorland, and by a loch in the evening.

> Since then I have been thinking of saving up for a pair of Sennheiser MKH=
 8020s (self-noise 10dBA) but have also come across people making nature/so=
undscape recordings using Rode NT1As - 5dBA and a lot cheaper!

> Given that I'm an impoverished sound archivist, would the NT1As be a good=
 purchase, or should I start a savings plan for the MKH 8020s?