4. Re: Miniature Pseudo-SASS Array

Subject: 4. Re: Miniature Pseudo-SASS Array
From: "Mike Rooke" picnet2
Date: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:48 am ((PDT))
"> In each mic, two capsules, one above the other, are windowed into a smal=
l cylinder. That boundary creates a smooth rather broad band of boost in th=
e "presence" range."

=3D=3D Interference tube

Wind the clock back to 2009

EM172 capsules:-

http://www.urlme.net/blog/?p=3D1032

Bump mics using a single capsule.

http://www.urlme.net/blog/?p=3D1213

A refinement of those was the cone mic's which curiously enough used a cone=
 structure to boost the presence range.

Coincidence of course, but begs the question why nobody here paid much atte=
ntion?
before their time or ?

Looking forward to seeing the Polar response of the SSM.

Klas, see email dated 7.6.09
-M

--- In  Dan Dugan <> wrote:

> > It's unclear what's really going on inside the SSM, but my impression i=
s that it
> > is a type of spaced omni rig with very little baffling or boundaries. I=
s this
> > correct?
>
> In each mic, two capsules, one above the other, are windowed into a small=
 cylinder. That boundary creates a smooth rather broad band of boost in the=
 "presence" range.

> > ...Also, the lack of any substantial boundaries
> > for the SSM would account for its brighter quality,
>
> The brightness is an acoustical boost that comes from the cylinder. Klas =
suggests that one can use it for effect, or equalize it out for lower noise=
.

> > given the drop off of the
> > low end of capsules.
>
> I'm not aware of the low frequency response of the EM-172 capsule, but I =
don't know any reason why it should "drop off."