4. Re: Miniature Pseudo-SASS Array

Subject: 4. Re: Miniature Pseudo-SASS Array
From: "Curt Olson" flipov411
Date: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:13 am ((PDT))
Your good humor is duly noted, Klas!

But if I may put a slightly finer point on it, I would say that oddball wor=
ds like these *ARE* the descriptions. They are offered up as the best we ca=
n do in our awkward attempts to describe -- through language -- observation=
s of subtle and often abstract audio phenomena we think we're hearing or th=
at we aim to hear. The music and audio worlds are well known for this, prov=
iding us all with some good chuckles along the way.

Back to the the "wavy" thing, though... I surely can't be the only one out =
there who has noticed this phenomenon I'm straining to describe with words =
like "wavy interactions," "jitter" and "inter-channel instability." I'd wel=
come a better way to put it.

Curt Olson

Klas wrote:

> I like this!
>
> Now we have David's "splashing" and Curt's "wavy", two words that cannot =
be described.

> I think we are getting somewhere!
>
> Klas
>

>> Excellent questions Scott. Thank you!
>>
>> "Wavy" is the best word I've found so far to describe a phenomenon I've =
noticed consistently for many years on recordings captured with ORTF, M-S a=
nd spaced-omni arrays. Not a partial blending toward mono, but rather a ver=
y subtle but audible "jitter" or "inter-channel instability" in these non-b=
affled arrays. Sorry, that's the best I can do at describing it. The common=
 thread would seem to be non-baffled. Introduce baffles/barriers, especiall=
y adjacent to the mics (either perp. or flush), and it seems to almost alwa=
ys disappear.

>> I've been able to greatly reduce the effect in ORTF-type pairs by moving=
 the two mics closer and closer to each other until, at some point, dependi=
ng on the mics, the "wavy" effect seems to become unnoticeable. Of course, =
the desired stereo width gets reduced too.

>> Why this would occur in M-S recordings is absolutely beyond me, but it's=
 almost always there.

>> Curt Olson

y" microphone interactions that are common to ORTF, M-S and Spaced-Omni arr=
ays.

>>> Could you describe what you mean by "wavy"? Given how vastly different =
ORTF, MS & Spaced Omni are from each I can't imagine what characteristic th=
ey would all have in common. Are you referring to the partial blending towa=
rd mono of any non-baffled array?