the frustrations of engine noise

Subject: the frustrations of engine noise
From: "John Crockett" naturalcontemplative
Date: Mon Jul 2, 2012 6:30 am ((PDT))
Greetings all,

Trying to record soundscapes around southern Vermont has become a very frus=
trating experience. I have hours of recordings, and only a few minutes with=
out some kind of engine noise: mostly jets, but also prop planes, chainsaws=
, atvs, cars and trucks and motorcycles, skidders, and who knows what else.=
 It appears that we are in a direct flight path for Logan airport in Boston=
, so that accounts for a lot of it. These are sounds I have effectively scr=
eened out in a lifetime of living here. I have always thought of this place=
 as quiet. But turn on the recorder and suddenly all that engine noise come=
s to the fore. Not quiet at all.

It makes no sense to me to get in my own noisy car and drive all over the c=
ountryside trying to find quiet places. How contradictory is that! I'm not =
having any luck finding quiet places anyway. This noise has become such a f=
rustration that I am sorely tempted to give up recording altogether, having=
 only barely begun.

How have others dealt with this frustration? How have you worked around it?=
 Anybody have an airplane noise canceling microphone?! Should we be hoping =
the price of oil goes through the roof?

best wishes,

John

John Crockett