Re: cable for long xlr microphone cables

Subject: Re: cable for long xlr microphone cables
From: "Jez" tempjez
Date: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:34 am ((PDT))
thanks Marc, er....I did know all that though & my question was about the d=
ifferences between aluminium & copper shields.

50 - 100m cables are generally what I want to keep on hand due to the way I=
 work.

Canare- sorry Marc, I assume of course that you mean its been your 'cable o=
f choice'. It's no more the unquestioned cable of choice than a large numbe=
r of other cables.

--- In  "Marc Myers" <> wrote:

> Canare star-quad has been the cable of choice for years for installations=
. That said, shielded cable in general is meant primarily to reject electro=
nic noise picked up when running next to radio sources: AC cables, Power li=
nes, etc. In the wild one doesn't run into those sources as much so more ex=
pensive cabling might not be necessary. Look for the capacitance rating. Lo=
wer will be better to prevent HF loss.
> Truthfully 50 M is not that long a cable and flexibility should also be a=
 consideration. Packing and unpacking stiff cables a much larger problem th=
an noise at these lengths and so I prefer braided cores. Shield material no=
t much of a concern.