Re: All the same except direction.

Subject: Re: All the same except direction.
From: "Avocet" madl74
Date: Sun Jun 3, 2012 3:29 pm ((PDT))
> These two files with same microphones, same day, same place and
> almost the same hour only one change of direction 180=BA of the
> parabola,in the tripod. Why are they so different,

Jos=E9,

They are different because you are using a highly directional
microphone. This is my method when in a new location:

1) Cup your hands behind your ears and slowly turn around. Note where
the main noise is coming from and where the best sounds you want are.
Move if there is not a good separation or get something between you
and a noise source.

2) Plug up your mic and listen on good headphones with fairly good
rejection of outside sounds (in other words not open foam type). Turn
up the replay gain and if that is not enough, turn up the recording
gain and slowly pan the mic around 360 degrees listening to noise
sources as well as what you want to record. Don't forget noises coming
from above and reflections from buildings, ground or other objects.

3) Now you know your sound object layout, you can judge where best to
point the mic or to move somewhere else.

4} Reset your recording levels so that the peak sounds are well below
peak on the meter, by at least 10dB

Wind will bring in noise from a distance like wind in trees and
aircraft, so facing into the wind can easily make the background noise
increase a lot. The trick with a directional mic is to reverse this
process to get the best signal to noise ratio.

David

David Brinicombe
North Devon, UK
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce