Re: question about new Olympus LS-100 purchase

Subject: Re: question about new Olympus LS-100 purchase
From: "Raimund" animalsounds
Date: Wed May 30, 2012 1:34 am ((PDT))
Hi Jon,

Except noted otherwise, all the noise measurements at http://www.avisoft.co=
m/recordertests.htm where taken at the maximum gain setting available on ea=
ch recorder. So, the -125 dBu(A) value for the LS-100 also applies to its m=
aximum gain setting (which is quantified by the -48 dBu clipping level on t=
he table).

The LS-100 provides a slightly higher sensitivity (gain) than the Fostex FR=
-2LE (-48 dBu vs.-45 dBu).

The 1 dB difference between the noise floors of the two recorders in combin=
ation with the KU-81 should be inaudible because the overall (comboned) noi=
se floor difference will be only 0.13 dB (the two noise voltages add geomet=
rically). So, there is no reason to care about that tiny difference.

Regards,
Raimund

--- In  "Jon M." <> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I've been trying to learn as much as I can about nature recording the pas=
t couple of years and I'm on the verge of a new purchase that I wanted to a=
sk you guys about.

> I was able to purchase a Neumann KU-81 dummy head at a reasonable price a=
while ago and I paired it with the Fostex FR2LE because my budget went most=
ly to the KU-81 and I couldn't afford the sound devices gear.   I've been f=
airly happy with the Fostex but I have a few issues with it that is making =
it difficult to keep.  The main issue is that I don't think it really has e=
nough gain for my tastes.  I don't like the preamp section (the trim knobs =
and the recording level) and the overall workflow is starting to get on my =
nerves.  It is extremely quiet for the price though.

> I tried in vain to find a used sound devices 702 for a decent price but I=
 haven't been able to do so.  This led me to take another look at the lower=
 end recorders.  The olympus ls-100 seems to be the one I keep going back t=
o.  Here is my question.

> The ku-81's mics have a self noise rating of 16 db and a sensitivity of 1=
0 mv/pa.  This means I would need a preamp with at least an EIN of -126dBu =
for it to not introduce added noise.   According to Raimund, the preamps in=
 ls-100 have an EIN of -125dBu a-weighted.  I'm not sure at what sensitivit=
y level that measurement was taken at though.

> With my current setup I realize I would gain 1 db of added noise at max g=
ain but I was wondering if this was a real world concern or just numbers.  =
Would I really notice that much of a difference with mics with a self noise=
 of 12 to 16 db?  Also, what are the gain numbers with the ls-100?

> Any replies would be greatly appreciated.  I've learned a lot from group =
and hope to continue to do so.

> Jon

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional