Re: Mixing using Headphones

Subject: Re: Mixing using Headphones
From: "Dan Dugan" dandugan_1999
Date: Thu May 24, 2012 11:33 am ((PDT))
> Having said that, I must empathize that a recording never sounds like
> reality, only more or less. Aiming for "best reality", it's best to
> sit beside the mic's and take the headphones on and off, carefully
> adjusting the listening level.

Ah, but amplified listening opens up a new world, hearing into the distance=
, hearing below our naked-ear's threshold. Consider the parallel with birdi=
ng visually. Birders use binoculars or spotting scopes so they can see the =
details of birds that with the naked eye would be little brown dots. Same t=
hing with recording. We amplify because we want to hear more.

A recording is an art work, like a photograph. Of course it can be intended=
 to be as honest as possible a representation of reality (what was there), =
but at the least it is selected in time and place and framed by the medium.

-Dan