Re: Mixing using Headphones

Subject: Re: Mixing using Headphones
From: "Peter Shute" pshute2
Date: Wed May 23, 2012 3:02 pm ((PDT))
Jez wrote:

> ... Aside from that, in actuality the history of
> field recording has only relatively recently been about the use of
> headphones at all times. Location sound, yes - but field recording was
> very often done without the use of headphones other than to set basic
> levels.

Why the change?

> on the basic subject of this thread, whilst its a personal thing
> anyway, I for one can't see the advantage of such an emphasis &
> reliance on headphone listening in this context. It seems to be a
> product of the mainstream music consumption industry rather than any
> effort to improve listening.

Are you referring to listening while recording here, or listening to
recordings? If the latter, I guess "mainstream music consumption" requires
headphones because people want music wherever they go. This fits well with the
need of the nature recording listener to be able to hear a wide dynamic range,
for which headphones are a much more easily achievable solution.

Peter Shute