Re: Mixing using Headphones

Subject: Re: Mixing using Headphones
From: "Avocet" madl74
Date: Wed May 23, 2012 4:58 pm ((PDT))
> Are you referring to listening while recording here, or listening to
> recordings? If the latter, I guess "mainstream music consumption"
> requires headphones because people want music wherever they go. This
> fits well with the need of the nature recording listener to be able
> to hear a wide dynamic range, for which headphones are a much more
> easily achievable solution.

Peter,

In this interesting discussion we seem to have missed out binaural and
dummy head recording which can only be listened to properly on
headphones. With loudspeakers you can't get the exact phase and timing
relationships that you can with headphones. It is "levels stereo" or
"pan pot" stereo which is very different on headphones and "time
difference stereo" which becomes uncertain on loudspeakers.

David

David Brinicombe
North Devon, UK
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce