Re: Rat-proofing cables for long-term install

Subject: Re: Rat-proofing cables for long-term install
From: "Mitch Hill" wa1ykn
Date: Wed May 9, 2012 1:27 pm ((PDT))
On 5/9/2012 4:07 PM, Jeremiah Moore wrote:
> Hi -
>
> Has anyone dealt with ratproofing some cables for a long term installation?

Yes...

> My project involves four XLR-XLR cable runs of about 20 to 50 feet.
>   They'll be in place for 6 months.  Covered by a roof but open to the
> exterior and salt air.  (near the ocean, under the foot of the golden gate
> bridge actually.)
>
> Ideas I'm working with:
>
> 1) irrigation pipe, of sufficient inside diameter to run XLR connectors.
> benefits:  relatively cheap
> difficulties:  stiff / inflexible.
>
> 2) metallic flexible conduit
> benefits:  designed for the purpose; easy to work with
> difficulties:  expensive

Our Company's Accoustic Flowmeter division  had this problem installing
flowmeters on the "Cental Arizona Water Project" open viaduct
channels.   Only solution that works is metal conduit, rats love to eat
plastic so fair warning, do not use plastic irrigation pipe or PVC
conduit or rats will chew right through it and have a feast on the cable
insulation...  We had to learn the hard way and our field crew spent
months re-installing miles of cable in metal conduit...  Easy to
identify the culprits, some cables carried high energy accoustic
transmitter pulses and there were enough rats that made the wrong cable
choice to know who was doing the damage by the bodies found...

Mitch Hill

   (Sent from HP DV6T)