Re: SD 7 series recorders with / without a 302

Subject: Re: SD 7 series recorders with / without a 302
From: "Munir kureshi"
Date: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:20 am ((PDT))
Hi Andrew,

Thank you for the information you provided. I will post my opinion after I =
get to  see SD demo in November.

Regards.

Munir.

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 18, 2012, at 1:02 AM, "andrewrileysound" <> wro=
te:

> Hi Munir,
>
> The GL is apparently now discontinued so it is all academic but I disagre=
e with your B&H source. The GL offers higher gain, which would solve one of=
 my issues with the Nagra units.

> While the specs are the same for the 7 series and 302/MixPre pre-amps the=
 construction is different, in fact the 788 is different again from the res=
t of the 7 series recorders (in order to solve power issues associated with=
 having all those pres on board). Subjectively I believe there is a differe=
nce it's just that it is not necessarily manifested purely in terms of nois=
e. My personal favourite mixer from SD is the old 442 which again has the s=
ame pres as the MixPre along with a really good sounding and comprehensive =
filter section.

 wrote:

> > Hi Jez, Andrew,
> >
> > When I ordered Nagra LB from B&H I also ordered Grace Lunatec and the g=
uy suggested against getting GL preamp. He said it would not make any diffe=
rence. When I got my SD788t, the distributor discouraged against 302 mixer =
because the mixer in SD 7 series is as good as 302 mixer. I will the demo o=
f SD when they come to San Francisco in November but it is ways down the ro=
ad. Me too, if SD 302 makes ad difference then I will add it to my system.

> > Hope there is more information on the subject.
> >
> > Munir.
> >
> > Sent from my iPad
> >
> > On Apr 17, 2012, at 3:26 PM, "andrewrileysound" <> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Jez,
> > >
> > > 1) Theoretically you could get an extra 18dB of gain on the line leve=
l output from the 302 but I think they have a slightly lower gain than the =
pres built into the 7 series recorders. I just did a quick subjective test =
using my Mixpre (original issue :) ) into my 744 and I couldn't discern an =
advantage to the gain staging suggested.

> > > 2) As far as I'm aware they are the same pre-amps as were in the old =
Mixpre and are still listed as using Lundahl transformers on the input.

> > > Have you looked at/tried the Grace Lunatec? It would be great to know=
 how that compares to the SD stuff, on paper it looks amazing!

> > > Cheers

lease. Not sure why i've not got round to doing this kind of comparison bef=
ore now - i've had plenty of field mixers on hand over the years !

eries recorder ? ie. with the same microphones plugged in do you get a high=
er level through the 302 into the recorder than you can get just going into=
 the 7 series recorder & is it quieter that way than whacking the gain on t=
he recorder up higher ?

various different models. The SD website has the frustrating habit of not d=
oing like-for-like spec sheets & also, though i've searched all over the ne=
t, I can't find any reports on this kind of simple test.