Re: Mic. self build question.

Subject: Re: Mic. self build question.
From: "Scott Fraser" scottbfraser
Date: Tue Mar 6, 2012 7:49 am ((PST))
<<For those of you who have or do build your own mic set ups, I have a ques=
tion.  Will I see a significant improvement in noise(less of it!), if I sol=
der mic capsules directly to the wire at the end of the mic cable, or, can =
I attach mic capsules to an RCA plug and thus build them modular.  For my m=
ain mic cables, I've decided to use existing split cables(3.5 out to two RC=
A; was able to purchase several of them for $2), but I know RCA is old tech=
, so I'm thinking it might either reduce gain potential or add in more need=
less noise if I use the plugs.  That said...if the penalty is not terrible =
in doing so, just building the mics onto RCA female end and thus having the=
 ability to later on, swap out elements might be worth it.  Anyway, if anyo=
ne has any thoughts on that, I'd appreciate it!>>

Cable & connectors do not generate noise. You cannot improve upon the high =
self noise of low cost miniature mic capsules. That's a given, based on una=
lterable physics. RCA connectors won't influence your signal one way or the=
 other, although in electronics practice they are not used for microphone s=
ignals. I would say that any cable with RCA connectors already attached pur=
chased for $2 could very possibly be a flaky, poorly shielded item built to=
 low standards. Good cables are worth every penny paid.

Scott Fraser