Re: Basic advice for equipent

Subject: Re: Basic advice for equipent
From: "Dan Dugan" dandugan_1999
Date: Sun Mar 4, 2012 7:42 pm ((PST))
Richard Drechsler wrote:

> The Pro 8W handle is still a big abstraction to me. You need to carry aro=
und
> a 9V battery to charge the "accumulator" (that provides phantom power)

PIP power, actually, but more current than PIP mic inputs on recorders can =
supply.

> in the
> handle. How long does it take charge?;

overnight is good.

> how long does the charge last?;

A long time.

> how do
> you know when it needs to be recharged?

Mic starts distorting?

> Can you carry a backup accumulator?

No, but you can operate with a 9V battery plugged onto the handle.

> Is this type of system efficient and reliable for field use?

It's been in use for many years. Every couple of years David Kuhn sends me =
his beat-to-shit handle and I think, "this thing is finished," but I fix it=
 up and it's good for a couple more years.

> It seems like the only way to find out is to buy one and try it.

You can borrow mine.

> Can you clarify the maintenance required for this interesting product.

Rechargeable batteries wear out. The 9V battery snap wires wear out. Disass=
embly and reassembly is a pain.

May I suggest an alternative. Buy the Pro 8 handle and a Power Box. Run it =
off phantom power with XLRs or from a 9V battery in the Power Box when usin=
g a 3.5mm stereo input. No accumulator, no charging.

Hoping for a Denecke-style 9V battery receptacle some day. After working wi=
th that, 9V battery lids and snaps seem crude.

-Dan