Re: Basic advice for equipent

Subject: Re: Basic advice for equipent
From: "Avocet" madl74
Date: Sun Mar 4, 2012 7:11 am ((PST))
> I have used a Sony PCM-M10 for a year and would now like to get
> external mics.

Sverre,

There'sw probably as much advice as members on this list. :-) I'll
break down my advice to general principles.

For a good noise immunity get powered mics with a higher output. Look
for at least 10mv/Pa on the spec. This means the mic level should be
high enough to swamp the recorder input noise. You could burn up your
budget on a higher quality recorder or a mixer, but it is better to
get the mics sorted out first.

Omni / cardioid / gunmics? All have their uses and disadvantages. A
pair of cardioids will give a good stereo image, but with a wide
pickup area and no noise rejection. An M/S mic does a very similar job
but you can't use the mics in a rig like a SASS or Jecklin. You can
get stereo cardioid mics mounted as a pair but again that is all that
they will do.

A parabols does a job that no other mic rig will do which is to fetch
in distant birds, but I would not advise that for a starter.

I use a pair of gunmics but they are limited and bulky to use because
they need good windshields. For outdoor environmental recording you
need good wind protection and it is worth spending a reasonablepart of
your budget on mounts and windshields. Or make your own.

> I want to produce recordings for a normal loudspeaker system (not
> headphones only).

This is volume level stereo using s coincident pair of mics rather
than time of arrival stereo where the mics are separated, otherwise
called "binaural" recording for headphones. Volume level stereo uses
either directional mics or a baffle system (boundary effect) to change
the "polar response" of omni mics, or even both techniques.

David

David Brinicombe
North Devon, UK
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce