Re: Basic advice for equipent

Subject: Re: Basic advice for equipent
From: "geoffjcarey" geoffjcarey
Date: Sun Mar 4, 2012 5:08 pm ((PST))
I think you slightly misunderstand the way it works. You don't need to 'car=
ry around' a 9V battery (except as a spare), unless you are actually chargi=
ng the accumulator/handle. It takes 10-12hrs to charge, I believe, but you =
can use the microphone while charging. It's simply necessary to tape the ba=
ttery to the handle cable to stop it moving.

You don't carry a back-up accumulator, but a back-up 9V. Not a big deal.

The charge lasts something like 70 hrs, I believe. The only way you learn t=
hat the battery needs charging is when it stops recording. A slight drawbac=
k, admittedly.

I would certainly say it's efficient and reliable for field use. And if you=
 are in situations where recharging your recorder battery is not feasible f=
or a few days, as I sometimes am, then it's better than the plug-in-power m=
icrophones, which drain battery more quickly.

Maintenance. The main issue in my experience is the charging cable for the =
accumulator. The connector for the 9V battery is prone to breaking from the=
 wires. I had somebody attach another, but I guess there's a limit to how m=
any times this can be done.

Regards,

Geoff

--- In  Richard Drechsler <=
> wrote:
>
> Dan,
>
> The Pro 8W handle is still a big abstraction to me. You need to carry aro=
und
> a 9V battery to charge the "accumulator" (that provides phantom power) in=
 the
> handle. How long does it take charge?; how long does the charge last?; ho=
w do
> you know when it needs to be recharged? Can you carry a backup accumulato=
r?

> Is this type of system efficient and reliable for field use?
>
> It seems like the only way to find out is to buy one and try it.
>
> Can you clarify the maintenance required for this interesting product.
>
> regards,
>
> richd
> =3D=3D=3D=3D

ice for buying the right equipment. I have used a Sony PCM-M10 for a year a=
nd would now like to get external mics. My main interest is nature soundsca=
pes, bird song etc, and I want to produce recordings for a normal loudspeak=
er system (not headphones only).

> Like almost everyone here!
>
> > The neat Telinga clip-ons seem to be a nice start, as they are both fle=
xible and robust. But the capsules are apparently the same as in my Sony? D=
o I get any significantly better sound quality (wrt noise and stereo sound)=
, or is the main advantage the flexibility of the external mics?

> The Telinga Clip-Ons have two capsules per mic, which makes for lower noi=
se than single capsules of the same type.

> >=A0 What about using the Telinga Stereo Dat mic standalone (without a pa=
rabola)?

> That is an excellent choice also, it has three capsules per side! However=
, that requires more current than a PIP mic input can supply, so the Pro-8W=
 handle is a necessary part of the system.

> > Another possibility is a so-called MS-rig, but that seems fairly expens=
ive and requires more post-processing, right?

> MS mic arrays are in the professional class ($$$). The larger professiona=
l recorders (like Sound Devices) have MS decoders built-in so you can recor=
d left-right stereo from an MS mic.