Re: [Nature Recordists] Basic advice for equipent

Subject: Re: [Nature Recordists] Basic advice for equipent
From: Dan Dugan <>
Date: Sunday, March 4, 2012, 10:07 AM
> I am fairly new to soundscape/nature recordings and would like some advic=
e for buying the right equipment. I have used a Sony PCM-M10 for a year and=
 would now like to get external mics. My main interest is nature soundscape=
s, bird song etc, and I want to produce recordings for a normal loudspeaker=
 system (not headphones only).

Like almost everyone here!

> The neat Telinga clip-ons seem to be a nice start, as they are both flexi=
ble and robust. But the capsules are apparently the same as in my Sony? Do =
I get any significantly better sound quality (wrt noise and stereo sound), =
or is the main advantage the flexibility of the external mics?

The Telinga Clip-Ons have two capsules per mic, which makes for lower noise=
 than single capsules of the same type.

>=A0 What about using the Telinga Stereo Dat mic standalone (without a para=
bola)?

That is an excellent choice also, it has three capsules per side! However, =
that requires more current than a PIP mic input can supply, so the Pro-8W h=
andle is a necessary part of the system.

> Another possibility is a so-called MS-rig, but that seems fairly expensiv=
e and requires more post-processing, right?

MS mic arrays are in the professional class ($$$). The larger professional =
recorders (like Sound Devices) have MS decoders built-in so you can record =
left-right stereo from an MS mic.

-Dan