Re: Cardoid vs Directional mics, opinion(sort of a LS10 vs M10 quest

Subject: Re: Cardoid vs Directional mics, opinion(sort of a LS10 vs M10 quest
From: "Misha Volf" misha.volf
Date: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:28 am ((PST))
Hi Paul.

Despite some of its shortcomings I'm a proud owner of the LS-10. As far as
I can see its main shortcoming is its de-emphasized low-end (i think for
this reason some people prefer the ls-11). Another pet peeve, is the
unstepped gain dial. This can get tricky in hi-sensitivity mode, as the
difference between too hot-and-clipping and too cold-and not-going-to-tape
can be very slight. No external mic options, but of course you knew that.

With that said, I think it's a great little recorder. I have recently
upgraded to a DR-680, but still take the olympus along on every outing. Its
size makes it extremely portable and I can be rolling within seconds of
taking it out of the pouch. To boot, it's sturdy construction really
minimizes handling noise, which, again, makes it great for on-the-move
recordings.

Yes, it is directional. While I can't compare it to another recorder in the
price range with omni capability, the directionality can be seen as either
a plus or minus. You will not do well to capture sound from behind. But for
anything in front of you, you can do rather well!

check out this recording I made of some creaky pines, here in upstate New
York,
http://mishavolf.net/post/15797902331/forest-instrument, to get an idea of
what this thing sounds like.

good luck!