Cardoid vs Directional mics, opinion(sort of a LS10 vs M10 question,

Subject: Cardoid vs Directional mics, opinion(sort of a LS10 vs M10 question,
From: "Paul Willison" wolfen49508
Date: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:32 pm ((PST))
So among the various things I need to get done before the snow melts....a b=
ig one is to purchase a potential replacement for my trust Sony HI-MD recor=
der(still soldiering along...but I'm pretty sure you can only overwrite the=
 discs so many times, or, leave it out in the cold so many times...).
I am surfing ebay/used, and have it narrowed down to the Sony M10 and Olymp=
us LS10. =C2=A0I'll often enough be using external mic's(see my earlier que=
stion), but I also will at least on occasion, be using the internals. =C2=
=A0 I'm reading identical specs for the two units, but I keep seeing refere=
nces to a slight superiority for the sony, so wondering what the opinion he=
re is. =C2=A0Also, the sony uses omni mics, while the Olympus mic's are dir=
ectional. =C2=A0 To date, all of my limited experience has been with omni's=
, so I'd like an opinion on how much I'll be giving up in terms of sound ca=
pture(read, sound from behind), if I were to go with the Olympus. =C2=A0To =
be honest, I can find the LS10's quite a bit less expensive used...so it's =
tempting if I'll not be making too large a sacrifice of overall sound quali=
ty and ambient recording ability. =C2=A0 Thanks all for anything you can of=
fer.

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: