Re: Help choosing low cost mic with Sony PCM-M10

Subject: Re: Help choosing low cost mic with Sony PCM-M10
From: "Avocet" madl74
Date: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:48 am ((PST))
> it looks like I won't find something with low self noise (16dB or
> below) ...

Arwen,

Beware of specs. "Self noise" is often quoted but is often
meaningless because it is not defined. For instance the very quiet MKH
series quotes 22dB to 24dB "excess noise" but is much quieter than
almost any other mics you will find. Suspect any noise figure that
doesn't quote "468" weighting which is the weighting that the ear
hears at low levels and includes a boost of about +12 dB. "A" weighing
is for high level sounds.

The reason I suggested high output mics - that is output in mV/Pa SPL
(millivolts per Pascal sound pressure level) not the maximum
possible - is that the input amp hiss on any affordable recorder is
going to be audible unless swamped by a high gain mic. For instance
the Sennheiser ME66 gives a beefy 50 mV/Pa. The Nady SGM12 is about 5
mV/Pa or 20dB lower.

Also forgot my usual advice to use a bass cut. You can put the bass
back in again if needed with a sound editor like Audacity but it often
prevents wind or handling noise spoiling the recording.

> I'm still not clear on the advantages/uses of stereo vs mono.

Suffice it to say that once you've recorded in stereo you won't want
to go back to mono. :-) Stereo is a big subject and I'm writing a blog
on it. It can vary from mono with fuzzy hair around it to a precise
image when you can hear the direction of every bird or animal.
Practically, if you are listening on headphones you know which way to
turn the stereo mic or rig to follow a sound. You can also hear
relative movements of the wildlife.

On 19 Dec. Martin put up a stereo recording which says it all:
http://soundcloud.com/annieandmartin/cuckoo-ranges.

Spend what you can on a good directional mono mic and a good
windshield/floppy mount. Save up for stereo.

David

David Brinicombe
North Devon, UK
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: