Re: Help choosing low cost mic with Sony PCM-M10

Subject: Re: Help choosing low cost mic with Sony PCM-M10
From: "Arwen B. Ximenes" arwenbx
Date: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:17 am ((PST))

Hi David,

thanks for taking the time to give all that advice!

I think the Nady microphone I was thinking of would be a waste of money - I=
 have been advised the self noise would be at 28dB and I would of course ne=
ed to find an adaptor for the connectors which might prove more trouble tha=
n it's worth. I've ordered the recorder and I'll see how I go with that at =
first, though I'm sure I will be looking for a mic soon. I'll try your sugg=
estion and compare the tracks I get from the inbuilt stereo mics. I've been=
 alerted to Rob Danielson's mic comparison table which I hadn't found previ=
ously, and which I've had a quick look at. Unless I misunderstand, it looks=
 like I won't find something with low self noise (16dB or below) that has h=
igh sensitivity and is battery or PIP powered and that is also a gun mike -=
 all in my price range! But I'll have another look and try to work out whic=
h one I can aim for. The chart I was sent is at: https://pantherfile.uwm.ed=
u/type/www/audio-reports/MicSpecCharts/MicNoiseSensv01.htm If there are any=
 more of these tables I'd be glad to know.

I will look for a higher output mic than the Nady and might just have to bi=
de my time before I can afford a little more. The Sennheiser ME66/K6 will s=
till be out of the question though, so need to find something less than hal=
f the price... although I'll hang around on ebay and see if I have any luck=
. Not sure how else to get 2nd hand.

I have thought about the pick up angle again and yes, it would be better to=
 be able to block out creek noise for one of my projects. Maybe I'll have t=
o get two different set ups in the end anyway.

I'm still not clear on the advantages/uses of stereo vs mono. I should have=
 another look into that. I had assumed, perhaps erroneously, that stereo wa=
s only really useful for ambient recordings.

I'm looking forward to starting out, and I have a couple of months still to=
 get things set up properly.

Cheers,

Arwen

Arwen Blackwood Ximenes