Help choosing low cost mic with Sony PCM-M10

Subject: Help choosing low cost mic with Sony PCM-M10
From: "Arwen B. Ximenes" arwenbx
Date: Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:32 am ((PST))

Hi,

I'm new to nature recording and am taking the plunge by ordering a sony PCM=
-M10 recorder but still need to work out a mic to go with it, and thought I=
'd ask in case there's one I can get from the same stockist (B&H) or so I c=
an get one elsewhere when I'm ready.

I would like to record three different types of bird sounds: local individu=
al birds; dawn chorus and especially migrating honeyeaters en masse (in lar=
ge flocks during the day - Eastern Australia).
I would also like to be able to switch between cardioid and supercardioid p=
ickup patterns. I'm doing this out of my own interest, not professionally o=
r for serious research. I have been dipping in to the messages on this list=
 from time to time and find it all so interesting, but am a long way off un=
derstanding all the technological info.

My budget is very small. As I mentioned I am purchasing a sony pcm-m10 reco=
rder for $229(plus postage) and have very little left over for the mic. I w=
ould be recording in reasonably quiet locations, but am not too concerned a=
bout background noise at this stage.

Two options I thought of were:
1) a cheap omni mic in a parabolic reflector - I still have to some how get=
 a reflector and the mic - one has been recommended to me by a nature recor=
dist for $50 from the UK, but once shipping costs are considered and the re=
flector, this probably blows my budget. I would however prefer a more porta=
ble setup. When I was thinking about a parabolic reflector Vicki Powys sugg=
ested the EM 173, so I think I have this option covered if option 2 is impo=
ssible.
2) my preference: a cheap(ish) shotgun mic with cardioid and supercardiod r=
esponses. I would not want to pay more than $100 in total if possible inclu=
ding shipping. A mic that can also be put into a reflector later on would b=
e ideal.

I came across the Nady SGM12 from B&H, and am wondering whether it would fi=
t the bill and I could just order it with the recorder. It's very cheap, bu=
t I'm not sure if it's suitable and I'm a bit concerned that the frequency =
response is 50Hz to only 16kHz. The signal to noise ratio is >68dB, max inp=
ut sound level 125dB. Sensitivity (1KHz at 1 Pa): 52dB / - 44dB (=B12dB) It=
 has 3 pin XLR output connectors ... would this be any good for my purposes=
? Just remember I'm a complete beginner and don't require fantastic quality=
 just yet.

Any ideas, suggestions, advice welcome!

Many thanks in advance,

Arwen