Re: Help choosing low cost mic with Sony PCM-M10

Subject: Re: Help choosing low cost mic with Sony PCM-M10
From: "Avocet" madl74
Date: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:27 am ((PST))
> As you are no doubt discovering, the words "cheap" and "microphone"
> don't often appear in the same sentence.

oryoki,

Sorry to disagree, but I was saying in my last email that they do.

> You can easily spend 10 times the cost of the M10 for a high quality
> professional mic setup.

The cost of my mics, blimps, mounts and mixer goes well into four
figures, knocking on five figures at replacement value, for very good
quality reasons. However I have also demonstrated acceptable quality
stereo recordings from two =A310 mics. Suggesting that three or four
figures are required for recording is a real downer for a beginner.

My advice to any beginner is to get going and risk catching the
recording bug. The "bundled" mic, warts and all will give a better
result that the built in mics on the recorder, with the risk that it
may well finish up on the shelf when it it replaced by better mics.

How I'd use the Nady SGM12 would be to point it into a large bush next
to my birdtable and connect it with a 10 metre lead. There is a lot of
activity in this bush in the winter and in spring it's full of
birdsong. Up close the mic noise would be minimised and the frequency
response is perfectly good enough to get the birdsong.

When I was a pro recordist two decades ago, the gear hanging around my
neck cost around $5000 equivalent, double that now, but that still
didn't stop me recording wildlife for fun with a cassette recorder.

David

David Brinicombe
North Devon, UK
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce