Re: Wrapping cables

Subject: Re: Wrapping cables
From: "jtudor2005" jtudor2005
Date: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:36 am ((PST))

--- In  "Robin" <> wrote:

> jtudor2005 wrote:
> >

> >  What's the "right way" to uncoil the over-under coil?

> > Dan
> >
> > I hold both XLRs (one in each hand) and throw the body of cable away from
> > me (towards where it should be going). I never get kinks.
> >
> > I stand at the record (or stand) and throw it towards the stand (or
> > recorder) Cables are about 25 metres long and never kink.
>
> I have never been comfortable doing this. The impact of the XLR connector on
> whatever surface it happens to come down on promises considerable
> re-soldering down the line.
>
> Then again, I am likely needlessly worried.
>
> -- robin

Robin

Read again what I wrote. I hold BOTH XLRs (one in each hand) and throw the body
of the cable away from me. I still have hold of the XLRs. I never let go of
them. I then leave one where I was and walk the other to where it needs to be.
In the process the cable, now safely onrolled on the ground, will not kink or
tangle. Picture walking away from a tap with the garden hose following you.

BTW, in the interest of XLR safety, I walk along the cable when rolling it
rather than drag the XLR towards me across the ground.