Re: Taiji, Japan and the cove again...

Subject: Re: Taiji, Japan and the cove again...
From: "Martyn Stewart" mijdog2000
Date: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:11 am ((PST))
The slaughter is legal but under Japanese law. when you think of cetaceans =
including all whales and the International whaling committee it becomes a j=
oke.
Dolphins, whales are all the same but Japan had small cetaceans removed fro=
m the list so that they could destroy them because they consider them as pe=
sts (IE, They eat bloody fish)
Most of Asia buy dolphins for dolphinariums but also America (Sea World) an=
d the middle east.
Don't visit Sea World or any dolphinarium, it promotes this unethical act.
Watch the cove.

http://www.thecovemovie.com/

Martyn
Martyn Stewart
www.naturesound.org
www.soundofcritters.com

425-898-0462
Make every garden a wildlife habitat

On Nov 12, 2011, at 10:42 PM, Eric wrote:

> Thanks for that data, Martyn. Pardon my ignorance. Am I to understand the=
n that all the slaughter is legally sanctioned by the Japanese government? =
Or, does it choose to ignore the law? Based on the prices, it would seem th=
ere is a significant demand for dolphin meat there. Is that correct? Who's =
buying the captive, live dolphins, and for what use?

:

> > In real terms Eric, nobody profits from the loss of a species. Dolphins=
 are declining rapidly around Japanese waters, quoters are not being met an=
d very often than not the pods caught are an average of 10 as opposed to 30=
's and 40's over the previous years.
> > In monetary terms they get $125,000 for a live dolphin and $500 for the=
 meat of a dead one. There is a fleet of 12 banger boats that enter the hun=
t each day at a cost of around 2k to run.
> > The dolphin trade is a big business in Taiji selling many captive dolph=
ins throughout the world and even inflating the prices to $200,000 to the m=
iddle east.
> > Couple all of this though with how much Taiji and the government has to=
 spend on resources including the security forces because of activists on t=
he ground add up to around $2,000000 per season.
> > Who profits? I'm not sure but Mother Earth looses big time regardless.
> >

> > Martyn
> > Martyn Stewart
> > www.naturesound.org
> > www.soundofcritters.com
> >

> > 425-898-0462
> > Make every garden a wildlife habitat
> >
> > On Nov 4, 2011, at 9:50 AM, Eric wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Perhaps learning about whether dolphins are self-aware adds to the ho=
rror...being discussed today 11/4/2011 on Science Friday: http://www.scienc=
efriday.com/

> > > "Pyschologist and dolphin researcher Diana Reiss discusses her work w=
ith dolphin communication and cognition."

> > > Expressions of moral outrage have been expressed here. I wondered, ha=
ve you analyzed and published about who profits from this slaughter, Martyn=
?

> > > All the best,
> > > Eric
> > >
> > > --- In  Martyn Stewart <mstew@> wrot=