A Deep Forest Creek

Subject: A Deep Forest Creek
From: "David Michael" corticalsongs
Date: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:19 pm ((PDT))
Dear Recordists & Listeners,

The physical pressing of "A Deep Forest Creek" has finally arrived at my
doorstep and I would love to send you a copy. To those who have ordered one (in
any form), a copy is in the mail - thanks for your patience!

http://fieldcraftrecords.com/album/a-deep-forest-creek

"A Deep Forest Creek" is a 19 hour recording taken in the Brasilian rainforest
during the Mamori Sound Project 2009, organized by Francisco Lopez. The package
contains a DVD onto which 2 MP3 files are pressed, each containing the entire
recording from different perspectives.

On the recording are Screaming Piha, Red-billed Toucans, Howler Monkeys,
Tinamu, and a couple of species of frogs and toads (among many others) - all
taken at a single location near Lake Mamori. The duration of the recording
gives a unique perspective on the sonic changes of this part of the forest over
the course of a day, starting just before sunset and ending well into the next
morning. There is plenty to explore!

Enter the code "mybirthday" at checkout for a 10% discount on your purchase!

Thanks for listening!

David Michael
http://gplus.to/dmichael
http://soundcloud.com/dmichael

== Album Description ==

The sound environment of the tropical forest is incredibly dynamic.
The actuation of millions of living things interact in specific spaces
and times to produce collective sound structures at many different
time scales, frequencies, and intensities. Some of the temporal
structures, like the chorusing of frogs, are relatively easy to hear.
But the structures at much longer durations, like a day, are
somewhat outside of our conscious perception.

At long timescales, our experience is perceived through memory
since the "thickness" of the present moment is actually quite
minimal. The pressures of metabolism, the environment, and the
temporal range of our own neural oscillations limit our ability to
experience a day as a complete structural unit.

To reveal the sound of a day in the forest around Mamori,
a recording was made - offloading attendance and memory to
electronic means. In making the recording, the machine now
completely mediates the experience of the forest. This sort of
mediation is required to perceive much of our natural world.

A Deep Forest Creek is a 19 hour, 4 minute continuous recording
taken in two stereo channels at a location near Lake Mamori,
Amazonas, Brasil as part of the Mamori Sound Project in
November of 2009. One stereo channel points toward the creek,
the other toward the forest.

== Track Listing ==

Creek (19h:4m:46s)
Forest (19h:4m:46s)