Re: A Deep Forest Creek

Subject: Re: A Deep Forest Creek
From: "corticalsongs" corticalsongs
Date: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:49 am ((PDT))
Let me work on this!

In the past, there has not been that much interest for surround DVDs since =
I think that there are not that many people with playback systems. I was tr=
ying to hit the duration thing with this one to the widest possible audienc=
e.

Also, this was not really intended as a surround recording though I did use=
 a Danielson-style spread array in the recording and it sounds pretty good =
in surround. Rob has also suggested that these long duration pseudo-surroun=
d be distributed on DVD as Dolby Digital, playable in a DVD/Blu Ray player.=
 It would be easy enough to include an MP3 or FLAC version on the release, =
but for super long duration works, there is just not room for both.

I played with including a 4 channel, 19 hour OGG file on the disc, but I co=
uld not get it to reliably play back on my Mac. Only MPlayer was able to pl=
ay it and only the Linux version would do it flawlessly. Email if you would=
 like a copy of this file and I could send you a link (especially you guys =
who picked up a copy of the disc).

This one is a surround disc that I experimented with for Dolby Digital:
http://fieldcraftrecords.com/album/sipsey-river-swamp
I have not yet sent it to be printed, but would do if it gets purchased. I =
have also not promoted it. My current surround authoring skill is a little =
limited. The audio comes out great, but without a video track (I only use i=
mages) I am unable to get scrubbing support, so you just have to listen thr=
ough it linearly. This is a real deal-breaker for day-long recording ... sc=
rubbing is nice. Send me an email offline and I could send you a test press=
ing.

Anyone have any suggestions for solving this scrubbing without a video trac=
k issue on DVD authoring :) im using DVDSP.

Thanks!
David

--- In  Dan Dugan <> wrote:

> > "A Deep Forest Creek" is a 19 hour recording taken in the Brasilian rai=
nforest during the Mamori Sound Project 2009, organized by Francisco Lopez.=
 The package contains a DVD onto which 2 MP3 files are pressed, each contai=
ning the entire recording from different perspectives.