Re: Green Frog Chorus

Subject: Re: Green Frog Chorus
From: "Mark Brennan" markbrennanfinear=
Date: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:21 pm ((PDT))

Hi Danny, thats my point, if you get it=A0right in the field, things will w=
ork out
in the studio.=A0=A0To be honest I just look to create what I am hearing. T=
hats the
beauty of nature recording, it a science but also an art - if you want it t=
o be
:-)

I would do my 'compression' in the field on location at the time of recordi=
ng if
i were recording thunder or a train etc. Really in nature there's not too m=
any
sounds that will hurt your ears (thunder, blue whales=A0and volcanoes not
included! ) - I=A0would like=A0to eventually take an actual=A0sound level r=
eading in
the field and work from there. Bringing it down to=A0 -12db would be a ball=
 park
if I were recording something really loud, like crashing ocean waves, if it=
s a
quiet recording, I might push it just a little, but not enough to generate =
too
much noise from the mics. A train I recorded a little while ago went right =
Message: 0db.
Subject: . I couldnt get it down quick enough with the zoom H4n gain controls
wh=
ich I
cant stand!=A0

great conversation

Mark

Mark A. Brennan
Canadian Landscape Painter - web
Nature Recordist - web
Follow me on:
twitter=A0 facebook=A0 soundcloud=A0 bandcamp