Re: Green Frog Chorus

Subject: Re: Green Frog Chorus
From: "Mike Rooke" picnet2
Date: Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:17 pm ((PDT))
Any hints for decent compressors?

http://soundcloud.com/urlme/bh8-thunder-and-rain

Is an example of "too loud, and too quiet" due to the dynamic range.

Warning - thunder stikes at the start, drop playback levels.

Binaural content.

-Mike.

--- In  "Danny" <> wrote:

> Not entirely sure I'd agree with 'don't worry about the levels'.
>
> While I agree nature tracks should generally be given more dynamic range =
than most other types of material, if you put a track on a CD peaking at -5=
0db and someone tries to play it they will find that it is excessively quie=
t [compared to every other CD they own].  Part of mastering is getting trac=
ks to play well together and in a way that you want in relation to other ma=
terial that people listen to.  I try not to let [even quiet] tracks ride be=
low -40db.  And there is a certain amount of dynamic range [ratio between l=
oudest and quietest levels] that would be too dynamic for most listeners.  =
No one wants to raise the level on a quiet track only to have something muc=
h much louder come in and blast them out of their seats.
> There is definitely a use for compression and limiting in certain instanc=
es.  In the real world our brains do it for us automatically.

@> wrote:

> > Usually John I dont touch the gain in post, especially if the levels we=
re good
> > at the time of the recording. Sometimes I=C2=A0might push certain frequ=
encies to=C2=A0give
> > the soundscape a better 'composition" in post.=C2=A0For me nature recor=
ding
> > is=C2=A0different than music production. Sometimes a quiet environment =
deserves a
> > quiet approach where as recording something like surf (its power and de=
ep bass
> > sound) deserves an approach that will bring out those characteristics. =
The only
> > thing I would say is pay attention to everything you hear in the field =
and see
> > if you can bring it all out by getting the mics in the right place. As =
for CD
> > production, I dont=C2=A0worry too much about the levels.. the tracks sp=
eak for
> > themselves I guess and as long as you have a consistent approach in the=
=C2=A0field
> > things should be ok. I am sure there are others on the list who=C2=A0co=
uld likely
> > offer more technical advice than=C2=A0I !
> > tks
> >
> > Mark
> >
> > =C2=A0
> > Mark A. Brennan
> > Canadian Landscape Painter - web
> > Nature Recordist - web
> > Follow me on:
> > twitter=C2=A0 facebook=C2=A0 soundcloud=C2=A0 bandcamp
> >

> > ________________________________

Very
> > helpful. As a relative beginner here, its great to hear details about h=
ow others
> > do it.
> >

> > I wasn't thinking so much about recorder gain as getting the output vol=
ume right
> > in post-processing, for posting on Soundcloud or similar sites on the w=
eb. Final
> > volume of a track would seem to be especially relevant to putting multi=
ple
> > tracks on a CD. Anyway, thanks again for the info.
> >

> > John
> >
> > --- In  Mark Brennan <markbrennanfinea=
rt@>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi John, thanks
> > >
> > > I dont use any cut off filters, either on mics or the Fostex Fr2le, I=
 used to
> > > though, but no longer.
> > >

> > > As for the gain. I usually sit for a few minutes and watch the levels=
 before I

> > > start recording but also listen too, I am looking to make the recordi=
ng as
> > > natural as possible. I suppose it comes down to=C3=82=C2=A0what we he=
ar ourselves and
> > >what
> > >
> > > we like. I=C3=82=C2=A0dont like the gain way up,=C3=82=C2=A0for me wh=
en the gain is pushed it
> > >reduces
> > >
> > > the tranquillity of the=C3=82=C2=A0recording and it becomes much less=
 what i am feeling
> > >and
> > >
> > > hearing. When i first started I=C3=82=C2=A0used to push the gain in t=
he false hope that
> > >it
> > >
> > > would be a better=C3=82=C2=A0recording (perhaps it is to some ears, b=
ut not to mine!). I
> > >am
> > >
> > > getting better=C3=82=C2=A0at judging what I am looking for.
> > >
> > > So I do use the levels but also my ears, I keep the=C3=82=C2=A0headph=
ones volume at half

> > > and then adjust the overall gain knob on the fostex, first turning it=
 up and
> > > then bringing down to the point where I feel it=C3=82=C2=A0reflects t=
he 'soundscape' when

> > > listen without headphones. I only push the gain slightly above what I=
 am
> > > hearing. I know there are technical ways to do this, I have spoken to=
 Martyn