Re: MKH 8070 long shotgun

Subject: Re: MKH 8070 long shotgun
From: "Paul Jacobson" thebrunswicktwitcher
Date: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:51 pm ((PDT))
Douglas,

Meant to ask what recorder are you using for these tests?   Unless you are =
using a SD7 series or equivalent the preamp noise floor will degrade the se=
lf-noise performance of the MKH8070, whereas the higher output of the MKH40=
 makes it far less demanding on preamp quality.

cheers
Paul

On 22/06/2011, at 3:32 PM, frozensounds wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> Not quite up to anechoic chamber standards, but under several duvets here=
 are the spectrum plots:

> http://www.donaldingram.com/Audio/8070vs40spectrum.jpg
>
> An mp3 raised to -3dBfs that illustrates the different noise shapes is he=
re

> http://www.donaldingram.com/Audio/L8070R40.mp3
>
> and the orignal file here:
>
> http://www.donaldingram.com/Audio/rawL8070R40.WAV
>
> It's going back to B&H tomorrow.
> It may be a one off below spec mic, but I think I will hang fire getting =
a replacement until I hear more field reports from others.

> All the MKH 80X0 series seem to have slightly worse noise than the older =
MKH X0 mics.
> I wonder if they have taken miniaturization too far and traded off induct=
or Q or PLL phase noise to get the size down.