Re: MKH 8070 long shotgun

Subject: Re: MKH 8070 long shotgun
From: "Tim Bartlett" =
rnet.com
Date: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:37 am ((PDT))

We have an NTG3 and have noticed that it is noticeably more bass sensitive
than the MKH416 for example. Therefore we found that deep road noise and
plane noise was picked up noticeably more by the NTG3 than a MKH416 (or
MKH60 for that matter). So a NTG2 may have similarly keen bass response.

We also have a MKH816, which has been mentioned is a long gun predecessor t=
the MKH70 / MKH8070. This does have more directionality, but is still going
to pickup road noise if there is any nearby.

I live in a town and am also similarly sick of road noise - it 'infects'
pretty much any recording done outside unless it's very early morning/late
at night.

Don't think there is any real 'cure' for this, but I am finding certainly
for bird calls, a parabolic dish is the most directional of all - and
because of its inherent limited bass response, it tends to also be affected
by road noise the least.

Tim.