Re: Olympus LS-7 vs LS-11 specs

Subject: Re: Olympus LS-7 vs LS-11 specs
From: "Avocet" madl74
Date: Sat Jun 4, 2011 11:29 am ((PDT))
> Does this mean you can't make an excellent recording with an
> inexpensive pocket recorder?  No, but the conditions have to be just
> right.

Oryoki,

I regularly use pocket digital recorders, and I can't fault them for
recording quality. There are other reasons for buying a pro type
machine like reliability and ease of use and interfacing, but with
care I get excellent recording results on my cheapie Tascams. The
difficult bit is getting the right wildlife in front of the
microphone.
:-)

If I was still recording professionally I'd use a pro recorder of
course, but I'm impressed with what pocket recorders can do nowadays.
The input noise figure for the DR-100 is down in the first three bits.

BTW the Tascam DR-100 adds MF noise below 1.6KHz when the XLR inputs
are phantom powered but I hadn't noticed this as it was always well
masked in practice by environmental noise. Usually I use an industry
standard SQN mixer when I can't fault the DR-100 for noise on line in.

David

David Brinicombe
North Devon, UK
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce