an interesting microphone deal

Subject: an interesting microphone deal
From: "hartogj" hartogj
Date: Fri Jun 3, 2011 7:05 pm ((PDT))
I noticed this deal on ebay, so I bought a couple, and am playing with them now.

Shure Microflex Wired Boundary Microphone - MX391 (#310322612261)
http://tinyurl.com/3e2f8aq

The MX391LP/O is basically the same mic as the WL183, except it is mounted
inside a boundary housing and the wire attaches to the microphone barrel from
the rear instead of from the side, and it comes with a longer cable.

The housing is lined with thin foam which works as basic wind protection.

The noise spec of 13dB is misleadingly low as the figures are adjusted for use
as a boundary mic on large boundary like a conference table, so for other uses
they are likely the same as the wl183 - so around 20db self noise.

Same as the WL183, they would require an adapter cable or soldering directly to
a 3.5mm plug to use with plug-in power. These do not come with phantom powered
pre-amps.

I have no association with the seller, and I have no idea if the Shure warranty
is good from resellers.

If you want to experiment with ground oriented spaced omnis, the price, $35US
each, is pretty good.

John Hartog
www.rockscallop.org