Olympus LS-7 vs LS-11 specs

Subject: Olympus LS-7 vs LS-11 specs
From: "Peter Shute" pshute2
Date: Fri Jun 3, 2011 6:09 pm ((PDT))
I'm now considering getting an Olympus LS-7. Becuase I can find almost no
references to anyone using these for nature recording, I'm trying to check how
similar it is to the LS-11.

I see these figures for input level in the specs sections of the manuals of the
LS-7 and LS-11:
LS-7: -70dBv
LS-11:
- mic sense high: -59dBv
- mic sense low: - 39dBv

The LS-7 does have high, low and medium mic sense settings like the LS-11, so I
assume the -70dBv refers to the high setting. It's very different to the
LS-11's -59dBv - is that good or bad?

Can anyone explain to me the significance of the figures on this page in
relation to the LS-11 and the LS-7
(http://www.avisoft.com/recordertests.htm<http://www.avisoft.com/recordertests.htm.>)?
 I've reformatted them to look more readable. Looks good as I type this, but no
idea what it'll look like once it's been through the listserver. Is there
anything worth noting about the LS-7 in these figures?

                Equivalent Input Noise (EIN)            Input Clipping Level
(2)                Dynamic Range at max gain (3)
                impedance: 150 ohms             corresponding to 0 dBFS
                A-weighted      unweighted      dBu     mVrms   A-weighted
        Olympus LS-10, LS-11
        (SENSE HIGH, LEVEL 10)  -122dBu -120dBu -54dBu  1.6mV   68dB
        (SENSE LOW, LEVEL 10, 24 bit)   -121dBu -118dBu -30dBu  25mV    92dB
(not max gain)
        (SENSE LOW, LEVEL 10)   -113dBu -110dBu -30dBu  25mV    81dB (not max
gain)
        (SENSE HIGH, LEVEL 2)   -103dBu -100dBu -30dBu  25mV    73dB (not max
gain)

        Olympus LS-7<http://www.avisoft.com/LS-7.pdf>   -118dBu -115dBu -65dBu
0.45mV  53dB

Peter Shute