Re: International Travel with audio gear

Subject: Re: International Travel with audio gear
From: "Danny" dannymeltzer
Date: Sat May 7, 2011 6:33 pm ((PDT))
Thanks Martyn, I have never done the 'certificate of registration'...but I =
think this is what I need to do...what is the process for that, do you just=
 go up to the customs people with a list of your gear?  I too pack all my g=
ear in my carry-on.  I expect a search by the bag checkers...and customs, t=
hat is fine.  The only problem I had last time was with customs in regards =
to bringing so much gear into the country...they suggested I do an itemized=
 list which I would like to do, I just wasn't aware of the proper procedure=
.  Thanks.

--- In  Martyn Stewart <> wrote:

> I travel in and out of the country around 15 times a year to places far a=
nd near, I always carry on my gear and I often get screened and bag searche=
d. It is just a fact of life since 911.
> I carry around 25k worth of stuff and there would be no way I could ever =
trust TSA for items in a checked bag. Just make sure that if you travel wit=
h high valuables you fill in a certificate of registration with customs and=
 get it stamped before you travel.

> Martyn
> Martyn Stewart
> www.naturesound.org
> www.soundofcritters.com
>

> 425-898-0462
> Make every garden a wildlife habitat
>
> On May 7, 2011, at 3:25 PM, Danny wrote:
>
> > I wonder if anyone can share their experiences regarding taking audio g=
ear in and out of the country. This would apply to the USA in my case. Last=
 time a traveled internationally with all my gear, recorders, parabolic mic=
, zeppelin, etc. The customs folks abroad and here in the USA gave me somew=
hat of a hard time. I didn't get charged anything, but I got the sense that=
 I very well could have been charged. I imagine the completely legit thing =
I am meant to do is purchase a 'carnet' for my gear which shows an itemized=
 list that gets stamped by customs. Does anyone who travels with a fair amo=
unt of gear have any other technique for passing through customs without an=
y issue? Thanks.