Recording dialog plus nature sounds simultaneously

Subject: Recording dialog plus nature sounds simultaneously
From: "michaelcage77" michaelcage77
Date: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:42 pm ((PST))
Hi,

First time poster. What a great resource you all have created.

I'm new to recording nature sounds, and have a specific use in mind where I'd
be recording dialog, on location, with (ideally) a deep and rich natural
soundscape. I want the listener to feel like they are there.

I have a Sony PCM-D50 which I gather from the archives is OK as a recorder.

What I'm not sure about is the optimal microphone or microphones I should use
to capture both voice and nature sounds at the same time. My preference would
be to use the PIP on the Sony, instead of carrying a separate preamp.

Is there such an "all-in-one" microphone that will do the job?

Am I better off using two recorders, one with quiet mics for the soundscape and
the other cardioids to capture voice ... and then mix the two?

I'd like to carry as little gear as possible, so an all-in-one solution is
definitely my hope.

Has anyone done something like this? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Be well,
Michael Cage