Re: Introduction of a new member - Expanding the dimension of record

Subject: Re: Introduction of a new member - Expanding the dimension of record
From: "Joel Goodwin"
Date: Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:32 pm ((PST))
  I want to thank both Flawn and David for their feedback.  The input you
both have provided is both useful and helpful because I am now in process o=
trying to determine what bit rate to select from a streaming server
provider.

  Based on the feedback you two have provided, I know for sure that the
32kbps and 64kbps streaming rates are too slow.  That leaves 96kbps and
128kbps as the only remaining commercial available options that I have
found.  The next higher step is 300kbsp is for video.  What I hope to do is
a test with the 96kbsp rate for the first 12 hours then switch to 128kbps
for the second 12 hours.  The service provider I am looking at will let me
stream for one day for test purposes.  It will be a couple of weeks before =
am ready to test.  The lowest number of listeners that can be supported is
25 so that should support as many people in this group that would like to
listen.

 The plan is to setup one of the surround sound microphone arrays close to
where I live.  In a couple of weeks, spring will start here and the birds
will be very vocal.  I have used the term 5.1 because it is a common
standard.  Since the center channel is for voice, I am not sure that channe=
will be needed for nature sounds.  For this first test, I may also leave ou=
the subwoofer channel because that will take additional programming to get
it operational. Once everything is in place for this test, I will notify th=
group with the required information to connect to the stream.  After
listening to this test, I would appreciate feedback from the people that
listened to indicate if they could tell the difference in the two streaming
rates and quantify the difference.

  I do need to say something about being able to listen to this test in
surround sound on your home sound system.  Some of the ways that you can
connect an internet 5.1 audio stream to your home system is with either an
audio receiver that is internet ready, a Blue-Ray player that has the
internet receiver included or use a computer.  The best way for me to
connect is with a computer.  There is a small bare bones computer available
in the USA for $160 USD. That system with a $10 optional optical audio
interface plus the SPDIF optical cable that connects the computer to my hom=
audio system is my method of connection.  That bare bones computer also has
a wireless LAN that supplies the connection to the internet.  The computer
will need Linux Ubuntu OS loaded to decode the Vorbis compressed audio
stream.  With the appropriate software on that computer, you can listen or
watch all the internet stations that are available and not just the stream =
want to provide in 5.1.

  This group has really been supportive of my efforts.  I do appreciate thi=
greatly.  Please comment or question.

Joel Goodwin

P.S. - I hope that someday I may talk with David via Skype.

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: