Re: Introduction of a new member - Expanding the dimension of record

Subject: Re: Introduction of a new member - Expanding the dimension of record
From: "Flawn Williams" flawn1951
Date: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:18 am ((PST))

>  The short answer - A 48K dial-up service can completely pass the 5.1
> compressed data stream.  The decompression software in the listener's
> computer will decode that compressed audio stream into CD quality 5.1
> surround sound.

>  With AAC encoding you can compress the 6 channels of CD quality 5.1 into
> space of an uncompressed stereo stream.  I found the term "psychoacoustic"
> interesting because it is a concept I was unaware until I started the
> research into compressing audio data.  I hope this answers your question.
> If not, rephrase the question and I will try to answer you question better.

An uncompressed CD quality stereo channel requires approximately 1.4 Megabits
per second (the simple math: 16 bits x 2 channels x 44100 samples per second =
1411200 bits per second). I'm not sure how that relates to your "48K dialup
service". 1.5 Mbits/sec is what our phone companies call a "T1" circuit, which
is equal to 24 channels of "dialup" service.

Wide-band internet can support streaming 1.4 Mbits/sec or more (that's about
the rate that Netflix streaming movies take), but that would be eating up a
noticeable percentage of my FIOS fiber optic Internet connection. And the costs
of streaming that kind of data to multiple users over a long time frame could
be a costly venture for the originator of the stream.