Re: post processing setup questions

Subject: Re: post processing setup questions
From: "simmosonics" simmosonics
Date: Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:26 pm ((PST))
--- In  "jtudor2005" <> wrote:

> Greg
>
> What editing are you doing after the fade into silence?

I'm editing the end of the file, of course! Or, more to the point, finding out
where it ends...

I am not sure how applicable this is to nature recording, but if you take a
recording of a string quartet made in a concert hall and you want to fade out
the end of a piece, you need to make sure you don't cut off the room
sound/reverberation too soon. If you are monitoring in a noisy environment, the
heightened background noise will make you think that the room sound has ended
some time before it actually has. When you play it back in a quieter
environment, you will notice that the room sound is dying away nicely at the
end of a piece but then suddenly it cuts out due to a premature edit.

Likewise for pieces that begin with very low level sounds; where does the piece
actually begin? For that kind of work I want the silence of a well-isolated
control room, but I don't have that luxury. As a substitute, I switch to the
active noise cancelling headphones and 'zoom in' on those low level sounds with
greater certainty.

You often can't tell by simply viewing the waveform because at some point the
reverberation tail is lost in the overall noise of the venue. It is still
audible, but no longer visible...